Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness.
-- James Thurber
-- James Thurber
My life in slow motion, let's wind it back.
It's 1 AM in the night of Kuala Lumpur. A girl and a guy are walking on the street, absorbed in a conversation to catch a taxi to a birthday party. Yes, it's me and Andries, a wonderful person who has become a good friend of mine, visiting me in KL. We're walking and talking - and suddenly surrounded by around 8 guys on motorbikes.
This is when the slow motion gets switched on.
They're aggressive and in a rush to take everything we have. We don't have much - a mobile, an iPod, a few hundred ringgits, keys to my house, a lipstick (wonder what they did with that?:). Being part of this scene seems a bit unreal - Andries on the ground, taser flashing in the night (and you hope they don't hurt your friend), me pushed around, someone shouting: "Shut up!" (did I say anything? Slow motion...).
And then it's over.
You hear the cars driving on the main street again, see the houses nearby and life gets back in the rhytm as you know it. A hug from a friend connects that moment with gratitude and connection.
So today it's a lucky girl writing here. Seeing the dark side of life certainly makes you value more the bright side. The best thing to take with us are the lessons, so here you have mine from a negative situation out of your control:
1. Forgive. There's always two (or more) sides of the story, don't get stuck with yours. Seeing the other person might sometimes take a bit, but in the end of the day forgiving is the only way to love and healing. I guess these kids had their reasons for ending up with this life style, I just don't know the story and was a very random episode in theirs.
2. Forget. No negative energy from other people should bitter us nor make fearful. It just doesn't make sense to double the harm by becoming a more negative person yourself. In the end - it's nothing personal and it's not your problem either. If you can't do anything about it - stop worrying about it and move on.
3. Prepare. Don't lose the lesson. Make sure the next difficulty that crosses your way meets a better prepared you. I start from asking how to avoid the same situation in the future - using taxi to move around after dark seems like a nice idea.
4. Love your people. I think this is the most important lesson. It's a thought from mother Teresa that Andries shared with me when we sorted the things out in a conversation. Loving the world starts from loving the people close to you. If you don't love your family first, then how can you love your employees, community, society, the world? Mother Teresa called it the Hierarchy of Love - love flows from close, healthy relationsships and heals the world. So I don't intend to change the life of all the bittered, unhappy youngsters attacking people on streets - but make sure I have enough love for My People first.
I'm fully grateful for getting to know different sides of life and growing in the process. We should never judge, but learn to understand. We should never build negative energy in ourselves. And we definitely should have as much fun as we can - life's such a wonderful thing, every day's a gift.
Gosh Marjam, hope you're okay! Must have been a traumatic experience. But I hope nothing too irreplaceable was taken. It takes someone with your infinite amount of optimism to look on the bright side, it does!
ReplyDeleteEi ole nii!
ReplyDeleteToday in the morning I just thought the thought: "If you can't influence something, then just don't stress about it."
Yes, quite a harsh experience for you. It is great if you really has already moved on :)
I'm sorry to hear that.
ReplyDeleteGood thing is that no one is hurt.
Take care.
That is one of the reasons why I am not planing to go back to my country... That happened to me so many times in Venezuela, to my friends and family, even a cousin got killed in one of those scenes...
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad that the social systems in which we live make sure this will continue growing...
Love your side of the story anyway...
My side is not so hopeful.
Dey
Thanks for the comments and the support, you're great! I've mainly just reconsidered my understanding of safety in this neighborhood, aside this no hard feelings.
ReplyDeleteDey, your point of view clicks with what I was thinking after the incident. I realized that people who have experienced violence on everyday basis have a very different perception of reality. I think it takes a bit to move on from that and remain a whole person with strong basis - violence against you isn't so easy to forget and is a strong personal experience.
So I understand your point of view and I'm grateful it was relatively easy to choose the positive side myself.
I see that you're ok! I'm impressed, I don't know one more who can so easily adopt to things which you couldn't change & find positive side everywhere....
ReplyDeleteKeep that!!!