Pages

Jul 17, 2008

Stop thinking. Let it go to let it come.


Turns out I have two sides of brain and moreover – they don’t necessarily get along too well. From time to time they keep contradicting with each other and guess what – the result can be indecisiveness, hesitation and even unhappiness. This is a story of a right-brainer who has been trained to become a left-brainer and is now relearning to get connected with her intuition again.

The left side keeps telling me what is the right thing to do. It has been diligently learning the rules and has soaked me into habit of doing so. The left side of my brain keeps reminding me that the world is a logical place to live in and everything can be rationally analyzed, from relationships to creative writing. Left side of my brain learns by observing and analyzing the collected data. And I can assure you it doesn’t make decisions before making sure that all the facts are double checked.

The other side of my brain – the right one – flows. It doesn’t know why I do things, but it just feels right and doesn’t need any explanation. It enjoys the process and is convinced that everything that happens is a good thing to happen. In a right time, in a right way. The right side of my brain doesn’t worry if the way I act, look or think is correct and if the result is good, it just knows it is.

The right side of my brain was especially active until I entered high school. There I learned that for example writing has rules and that to create a meaningful text it needs to have introduction, subject expansion and conclusion. Flowing wasn’t enough anymore. I learned that my intuition of knowing what to do can be analyzed to pieces and that I need to make decisions coming from pieces to the big picture, not vice versa. Knowing is just not enough, was what I learned, you need to know how you know.

When I entered into university it became strikingly clear that the only way of achieving success is to be absolutely clear about your thinking process. “This is how you do it!”, was the mantra I kept learning through correct ways of delivering what I do. The majority of the leadership books were more about methods and pre-described processes, than capturing the essence of WHY ON EARTH am I doing what I’m doing. What’s the essence? What is the big picture?

Knowing pieces is just not enough in the complex world we are living in (and with the knowledge doubling in every 10 years it just keeps getting more complex). There are less and less right answers, much is depending on the co-operation we are able to do with each other. As everything is so much interconnected community is becoming more important that individuals.

To where from this point? I’m learning to know when and how to quiet the left side of my brain, it can be the main hindrance in seeing the deeper knowledge. Switching off the thinking process, letting go of all the judgments, just sensing what is there. Trying to understand doesn’t work in many cases, the understanding comes once you stop worrying about it. Acting right comes naturally when you stop analyzing the reasons behind every option.

Let it go to let it come.

As a person whom I met in my crossroads in Switzerland told me: “Just relax. It will happen.”

3 comments:

  1. põnev! Marjam, millega praegu tegeled?
    bjs,
    Triinu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triinu, kuulsin ja lugesin, et oled tagasi Brasiilias. Ei teagi nüüd, kas rõõmustada või kurvastada, aga su blogi lugedes pigem ikka rõõmustada :)

    Ise lõpetan ülikooli ja plaanin kusagil sügisel pooleteiseks aastaks välispraktikale minna. Olen sihiks võtnud Mindvalley Malaysias, lõpliku selguse peaksin saama järgmisel nädalal, nii et põidlad pihku:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maia, see laul on täpselt minu jaoks :D "I don't like to wait!"

    Ja "you need to know how you know" - väga huvitav on siit edasi mõelda...

    ReplyDelete