Pages

Apr 9, 2008

Busy in being not busy

I’m busy. In pasts months I’ve been travelling a lot, planning, thinking about my future, meeting people, designing processes, conferences, seminars, reading new books, visiting Local Committees, conversations, strategic meetings, taking time for Maru, catching up with my university, spending time with my team, hosting guests. It has been quite a journey.

I love it. Why? Because it makes sense. I’ve been busy doing the things I love and trying to reduce the things I’m not necessarily good at to minimum. And what I love is sometimes to say no to any obligation I have, just to sit back, relax, read a book, meet a friend, take a hot bath. I’m equally busy in learning to be not busy, which is an surprisingly challenging thing to do when 1) you are so used to run 2) everyone is expecting you to run 3) everyone else is running

What I’m saying is that being constantly busy makes you run. When you are running – you don’t have time to think. When you don’t think, you don’t see anymore where you are running.

Stop.

Take a moment to look around. Where are you going? What makes you busy? Where is your time going? What is your choice, what have you took randomly in your life because you didn’t have time to see the difference between important and non-important?

If you are too busy in being busy, you don’t have time for passion. You don’t understand anymore what is truly important. Everything becomes the same importance. You might run into an highly important and impactful event – and remain ignorant. Because you don’t have time to see the difference.

The less grounded the person is the more confusion he/she creates in the world. I see constantly how people run into me with their confusion, indecisvness. They are fighting for something without being convinced in themselevs that this is THEIR thing. They fight to fight, not because it’s important, but because making a stand is considered as a sign of strenght. Their opinions change, their causes change as the background – whatever it might be - changes. People without principles and goals create confusion.

So stop. What of this busyness is actually the confusion of other people? And what is the confusion of your own indecisiveness?

Being busy is not a bad thing. I love it...as long as I’m busy with something that really matters to me. For that I need to know first - what matters to me (easy:) and then – ignore the rest as much it’s possible. For sure it causes some negative opinions for the start as you are not meeting the expectations of the people who are used to that – but in the long run it makes it easier for everyone to communicte with you. And you are simply a more effective and happier person.

Be busy – but make sure you take enough time to know with WHAT and WHY.

2 comments:

  1. I'm busy reading your blog..and it makes sense too..coz it makes me happy :))

    with smile,
    ali

    ReplyDelete